Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Raven Rock


Yesterday, Michelle and I went up the road to Raven Rock. Yes, I notice the irony of the name but I am sure it was named that well before that team from Baltimore came into existence.

We hiked along the trails and put in a good five miles. I don't know how long it took and I doubt any Force Recon unit would have felt us breathing down its neck but I think we did pretty well.

Sometimes we homo sapiens forget we are animals too so it is a good thing to go out into the woods far from cities and maybe other humans. Back in the 1700s, an explorer named Lawson set out from Charleston, SC and worked his way up to the vicinity of Chapel Hill, NC and sailed down the Cape Fear River to what is now Wilmington. I looked out from the overlook and wondered what he thought when he was drifting down the river.

On the whole, I would have rather been at Mantinea but you have to take what you can :-)

Wandering around in the woods with Michelle thinking about colonial explorers and ancient Greek battles...Not a bad way to spend the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment