Sunday, October 3, 2021

Shark tooth in the desert!

 

Michelle and I were climbing up the side of the Wave Cave in the Superstition Mountains when I went sliding down the side of it.

No problem, not a scratch.

When I looked down at my feet, I saw an ancient shark tooth!

The tip was broken off, but it was not a problem.  It meant that it had been in a "feeding event" and our fishy friend/eating machine swam off to get something else.

This part of AZ had been part of an ocean about 70 million years ago and from what I heard, in the far south of the state, you can find megladon teeth.  The Supes are a "mere" 25 million years old, so I am sure the tooth is not anything from the Cenozoic so it might be even older..  Payson,up to the northeast, as exposed Paleozoic bedrock about 300 millions years old.

Heading back up there and who knows what else we find!

No comments:

Post a Comment