Friday, September 23, 2011

Pitt in the ACC?


Not exactly earth shattering but still a head turner!

The University of Pittsburgh, along with Syracuse, and possibly UConn, are bolting the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

I have never been a big college football fan but now it seems I don't have an excuse. Getting a master's degree at East Carolina makes me a Pirates fan and now with Pitt in the ACC, it is getting harder to ignore college football.

I used to say that Florida State was my favorite ACC team but that is going to change apparently.

I would have thought that if Pitt was going to ever leave the Big East, they would naturally go to the Big Ten with former arch-rival Penn State. It is hard to see Pitt in the same conference with NC State and Duke.

But it is going to happen in 2013 or 2014.

The ACC raided the Big East back in 2004, snagging Miami and Virginia Tech (Boston College too but they had contractual obligations that kept them in the BE for another year), and now i seems intent on absorbing the rest of the conference. I think they should and rename it the East Coast Conference. I will send a memo. Maybe I will get a form letter back.....

Pitt was an independent for the longest time along with Penn State. Notre Dame still is though they play a lot in the Big Ten. Back when I was a kid, I had hoped for Pitt to join a conference and I had even created an "Eastern Conference" (sometimes "Northeastern Conference") for them, consisting of Penn State and Notre Dame at the nucleus along with Temple and Rutgers. I thought Army and Navy would be good additions too along with another natural rivalry. Boston College would have probably fallen into that orbit too.

It looks like part of that has come true.

The other part is that I get to see Pitt play here in NC against at least four opponents.

I'll take it.

Now let's see if East Carolina wants in too!

No comments:

Post a Comment