Sunday, October 16, 2011

In the mountains


Michelle and I have been up in the mountains that make up the west end of NC. We hiked around Grandfather Mountain in the rain and wind and noted that the place looks a lot like Scotland....might explain why they call the area the "Southern Highlands."

Crossing the Mile High Swinging Bridge in fifty mile an hour winds and rain was an interesting experience but we did it! I am not exactly sure why we did it....If I had known the bridge was built in 1952, I probably would not have crossed it in 2011...LOL I later found out the metal bridge was constructed in 1999 so I feel a little better about that.

There is a large Scottish descended community there and the area hosts a Highlands game every year. We will definitely go to see that. If Michelle makes me wear a kilt, she is going to have to let me wear a hoplite helmet too complete with hoplon shield.

"It's just like Greece!" She said. "But with trees!"

Forgot to mention the wind and rain but I like crappy weather :-) It is a great place to go on walk abouts even if a lot of it is uphill. It's a lot like Polish Hills in Pittsburgh now that I think about it. And the local college team, the Appalachin St. Mountaineers, wears black and gold, Michelle noted.

Sounds like someone wants to move there.....Can't say I blame her!

Guess I will check if they have a PhD program in Greek and Roman studies....

No comments:

Post a Comment