Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day!


No one I know has this day off. Sounds like a scheme to keep the Post Office from losing more money...On the other hand, if you are working, this is a great time to pick up some overtime...or something.
I managed to get a good two mile run in before the rain started falling. Fortunately I cut the grass back on Saturday. It did not look that bad but I did not want a parade of disreptable looking dudes marching up to my door wanting to cut the grass for $100. Not only is that too much but I can screw it up for a bare fraction of the cost. I calculated it costs about $1.25 for me to mow the lawn. That figure, of course, does not include my invaluable time :-)
Here is a quick way to win any Labor Day bar or picnic bets:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (September 7 in 2009).
The holiday originated in Canada out of labor disputes ("Nine-Hour Movement") first in Hamilton, then in Toronto, Canada in the 1870s, which resulted in a Trade Union Act which legalized and protected union activity in 1872 in Canada. The parades held in support of the Nine-Hour Movement and the printers' strike led to an annual celebration in Canada. In 1882, American labor leader Peter J. McGuire witnessed one of these labor festivals in Toronto. Inspired from Canadian events in Toronto, he returned to New York and organized the first American "labor day" on September 5 of the same year. (compliments of Wikipedia)
Yes, Labor Day here in America started in Canada LOL Well, sort of...After the Pullman Strike, Congress pushed through a holiday honoring labor and made sure it did not fall on May 1 as not to align with any Communist/Marxist agendas or provide any undue remeberances of the Haymarket Riot in 1886.
Yes, I am a history major!
Now, the history major has to install some attic stairs! Then later, back to writing some more of Aries Unleashed!

No comments:

Post a Comment